Saturday, August 28, 2010

Botanical Gardens

One of the things I really like about living around Madison is the number of free things there are to do. Like visiting Olbirch Botanical Gardens, which Jon and I did this afternoon.


We started out in the sunken garden, a traditional English type of garden.


Then we ran into these lovely, huge hibiscus flowers.


When we reached this bridge, I knew we were getting close to my favorite part of the gardens.


The Thai Pavilion! It's one of only four of these pavilions located outside of Thailand, which definitely makes it something worth seeing.


Detail of the inside of the pavilion. You're not supposed to touch it all, since the gold leaf is actually thinner than paper and the oils from your hands can damage it. It's really intricately patterned, and absolutely gorgeous to see.


Later, we got to the tower-type construct they have there, which had this lovely view of some of the grounds.


The Jon found a sun dial, but couldn't really figure it out. Apparently the sun is an hour behind?


I liked the conservatory, where they keep a lot of tropical plants. Look at how HUGE those leaves are! They're almost as big as I am!


We also found some quails, which apparently help keep invasive bugs out of the conservatory. I thought they were just there to look cute and be kinda funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment